Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Starbucker: Funny, thou art revealed.

Funny is good to me. Funny is good for me. Funny is my friend. Funny and I go way back. I have a broad appreciation for that which is funny to me – so broad, in fact, that I dare not attempt to list everything I find funny here in this entry.

Ok, it's not that broad. Here goes.

Irony; wordplay; pics or descriptions of familiar characters in unfamiliar settings; pics or descriptions of familiar characters responding and/or reacting in surprising and uncharacteristic ways; poking light fun at others; other's misfortune that doesn't result in significant injury or death; satire; politics; self-depreciation; anecdotes; colloquialisms; onomatopoeia; malapropisms; euphemisms; spoonerisms; oddities; useless trivia; the disproving of aphorisms; limericks; clichés; absurdity; plain silliness; proverbs: good, bad and annoying; propulsion by flatulence; and literally anything rednecks do right after exclaiming "Hey, y'all, watch this!"…


Hm, I guess that's actually pretty broad after all…but what's really cool is that virtually anything can be 'funny', if it follows a properly executed set-up. I'll not demonstrate here.


Here now, is a quick example of 'funny' and 'not funny', in my eyes:

'Funny':

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



'Not funny': Yes, it's cute, but still not funny:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


'Funny', because he just said, "Hey, y'all, watch this!":

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To further complicate things - some things that aren't funny can sometimes be made funny with a slight adjustment.


Now, I know this is a lot to throw at you all at once, and I'm not gonna always be around to explain this, so - if you're ever curious as to what's funny and what's not funny, just check out my blog… the recent stuff AND the archives. It's not all that funny. Normally, the stuff directly opposite of what I post is funny.


Now, let's move on to the individual feedback that I promised. For those of you that I didn't laugh at: DON'T GET ALL BENT OUTTA SHAPE! It's nothing personal.


Xavier: while I do very much enjoy the misfortune of others – like your sidekick there… it was actually the delayed realization of the irony in your post's title that aroused my laughter. Good job.

Local Henchman: You must've forgotten that my light truly shone in the 70's, when the only outfits that existed were mistakes. Sorry, no laugh for you… and, do you think my teeth are bad, or something?

AOC: yep, those were some lame-o one-liners. How did you know I liked lame-o one-liners? I even forgot to mention that in my description of 'funny' above. Good Job.

Vegata: Cross-dressing is no laughing matter… unless there is a romantic plot line with a love interest that is unaware of the actual gender of the object of his (or her) affections. Like the romance that blossomed between these two for months and months before the bomb was dropped:

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Now THAT was funny. You did give a nice try though, but alas, no laugh for you. *shrug*

Erifia: It pained me to discover the anguish that you went through to try to make me laugh, and I was more concerned than amused that you imagined Obi in pirate underwear, but anyhoo – you pulled out the feminine wile bribery at the end of your post, and that's what did it for you… so, 'haha!'. Now then, gimme that kissy-kissy…. mwah, mwah, mwah.

score!

Magdalena: Good one! A prank! You set-up that fool with a mere coin! Then you threw in some pic manipulation, and invited me to kick Hudson's butt! If there weren't others following you that I needed to judge, I would be inclined to proclaim, "Game Over!" Good job.

Aayla: I didn't get it. No rhythm, no rhyme, no real humorous elements. Next time, give me a clue as to the tune, or at least describe the meter. I guess it was a fair summary of the LGS blog and competition - but there's certainly nothing funny about that! I'm sorry, but I came away from it thinking I should be feeling warm fuzzies - as if I'd just attended a LGS 10 year reunion. But I didn't want to attend an LGS 10-year reunion… and didn't want or really even get warm fuzzies. Sorry. No laugh for you.

Gyrobo: Political reality at it's finest. You knew who to turn to when you needed help. While it was clearly a factual post, Macaulay Culkin's appearance without Michael Jackson on the hot Oregon Trail did in fact, pull through for you. Eeeee.

Jean-Luc: Lame-o one liners never get old for me. The only thing missing was the one where everybody wondered what Spock found in the toilet of the Enterprise, and the "Who's on the bridge" gag. Good Job.

So, there were 9 entries, and I laughed at 6 of them. What's all this mean Jon?

Starbucker Out

8 Comments:

Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Wow, you could have bowled me over with a fender when you said that you liked malaprops.

OK, so if it's any consolidation, I'll check the super commuter for who should win.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger Local Henchmen 432 said...

Ouch baby...Very ouch.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Hmmm. I read the whole thing and there was no pay off. It was kind of like the late night "features" on Cinimax.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:59:00 PM  
Blogger Erifia Apoc said...

Okay *Blush*... You laughed, so I'll pay up...

*Smooch and tightly pressed hug.*

XOXO, that's the best kiss ever, Mr. Starbucker.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Erifia: I laughed at your Humor *puckers ups, get slapped*

Glad you like my lame one-liner Fruke

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

lol

poor cow!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Karl the Sorcerer said...

Chewbacca said the same thing in the plane on the way to Canada. That was some weekend.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

He liked it!!! Whatever next?

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home